Storm stagsegel for IF

English spoken IF-boat forum for all topics.

Moderator: Moderator

if1038
Kontakt:

Storm stagsegel for IF

Inlägg av if1038 »

Hi again! When I bought my IF, it had the set of sails: 2 genoas, 2 mainsails, 1 trysail, but there is no a sturmstagsegel. Is anyone could to tell me an approximate sizes of this sail, or show me the specific plans?
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Re: Storm stagsegel for IF

Inlägg av maja »

Do you mean a storm jib?

If so, see Offshore Special Regulations section 4.26.2 "Sail Areas".
Marek, IF-båt SWE-829 "Ingela" från Lagunen i Malmö
Medlem i IF-båtförbundet sedan 1985
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
Nils D

Inlägg av Nils D »

if1038 skrev: 17 okt 2018 22:12 Hi again! When I bought my IF, it had the set of sails: 2 genoas, 2 mainsails, 1 trysail, but there is no a sturmstagsegel. Is anyone could to tell me an approximate sizes of this sail, or show me the specific plans?
As far as I understand, 'trysail' is not the same as a storm jib, but instead a very small sail used instead of the main sail in very strong winds, mainly to make maintain the boats maneuverability, especially the ability to keep the bow to the wind when sailing in a gale or even stronger winds.

You write that you do not have a trysail but a sturmstagsegel, which makes me a bit confused since I thought that these are the words used in English and German for the same kind of sails.

A good description of trysail with Pictures can be found at UK Sailmakers web
http://www.uksailmakers.com/storm-trysail/

I do not think that there are many, if any, Swedish IF-owners that have a sail like that. Perhaps instead you can find the information you need from a sailmaker that knows how to design these kind of sails?
Nils D Tidigare ägare av SWE-3008
if1038
Kontakt:

Inlägg av if1038 »

Sorry, I dont know an english-like terminology, but I'll try to learn it.

I have a storm mainsail (trysail), but I not have a storm jib in a set. Now I try to explain my question more detailed.

I didn't make accurate measurements of that storm mainsail. However, it seemed very large. I thougt, it was an initial original trysail (manufactured in 1972), with which IF was complected "by the factory". Then I suggested, that also must be existing some original storm jib, which could be well correlated with this storm-main, by its areas and geometry. And now I asking you exactly about that "probably existing somewhere" storm jib, designed especially for IF.

My sailmaker, which repaired all that IF's sails, says, what he can't guess the dimensions of storm jib just out of nowhere.
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

Dimensions and other specifications of storm sails are not a matter for the Class Association but are governed by the Offshore Racing Council (ORC) for any type of sailboat. Storm sails are not considered as "performance sails" but rather "survival sails" and thus a part of the reccommended or mandatory safety eqipment.
Marek, IF-båt SWE-829 "Ingela" från Lagunen i Malmö
Medlem i IF-båtförbundet sedan 1985
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
Skriv svar